Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Distracted by the Abstract

So last week we did some abstraction exercise thing.
It was cool I guess.
Cool in the fact that I began with rage, hit family somewhere in the middle, and wound up with cutting.
The exercise as a whole was fun but it sets up too many rules. You can't write down the first thing that comes into your head, you have to write the first feeling. I did not really suscribe to that while I performed the exercise but I noticed that other people seemed to overthink what they wrote because they were worried of it not being correct.
I could go into a whole long-winded post about the quest to do things correctly instead of doing things your way and how it affects the modern world, but that doesn't really interest me.

I've never been a big fan of poetry but I usually have fun writing it. In my Intro to Creative Writing class I wrote a few poems. Some I liked; Some I didn't.
Here's one of my favorites that I wrote then:

Ode to a Camry

Our affair began some two years ago,
it started roughly, for I couldn’t control
the gristly engine that roared to and fro,
if she gets caught on a hill, away she will roll.

All was well for a great long time,
there was not much trouble that came our way,
‘til one fateful day, defying rhyme,
my ship was lost at sea, it was Thursday.

The heat, she said, was way too much for her,
the key, it locked and the tumbler was bust’d,
for help I waited as time became a blur,
the car, I was told, had become faulted.

So with watery eyes I waved goodbye,
To the only I have ever drived.


So yea, that's that.

P.S. Professor, I will be in California for a Guitar Hero press event (all expenses paid, woo!) from September 24th to 27th. Let me know what I will miss then and I will be sure to make it up. Also, expect a blog post!

2 comments:

A Quinlan said...

Great start and thanks. AQ

MissShaw1 said...

I love your title for this assignment Distracted by the Abstract. It's comical and oh so true!