Thursday, October 9, 2008

Prompt Ho!!!

I did some Google-searching for "Writing Prompts" and then quickly realized that we were supposed to be finding Poetry Prompts. However, one of the Writing Prompts I found helped me develop the character for my short story, which should have been ready by everybody by the time most of you see this.

Write an Anaphora poem. An Anaphora is "the repetition of a word or expression several times within a clause or within a paragraph". In poetry the repetition of the phrase can be just at the beginning of each line, setting the tone as a meditation or a mantra, or it can be utilized more subtlety within the poem. The poem can be free verse or prose style.
I liked this one because, well, anaphora is a pretty cool sounding word. Also, repetition is sometimes a good way to get off the ground with a poem. Albeit my poetry writing skills are somewhere between horrendous and passable, I find that's a way I can overcome it.

Write a poem that begins with a description of an event, telling what appears to be happening. Then give a description of what is really occurring.
While poems should never be too confusing, its always interesting seeing something done differently, which this encourages.

Next time you watch a movie take note of the people in the background. Develop a character sketch by selecting a peripheral character. Follow an extra off screen and reveal who he is and what he is about to do.
Although I found this from a prose prompt, I like the idea of it and this could be easily switched to poetry.

1 comment:

A Quinlan said...

Sorry about the mixup between fiction and poetry prompts. I think I just say poetry prompts because it's alliterative. It makes no difference. The point was to try something different and see where it took you....